Thursday 27 July 2017

Summer Time


Hello all, 

Were almost at the halfway point in the summer and I am hoping you are enjoying a restful and relaxing summer vacation. As the end of the school year approaches, it seems as though the students are in desperate need of a summer vacation where they can relax and enjoy the outdoors. With teaching being our profession, you really feel a change in pace, from the hectic months of May and June to a reduction in school related duties within the months of July and August. I definitely love the time in the summer to reconnect with my family and friends, as well as, pay more attention to some of my favorite hobbies that sometimes fall by the waist side throughout the busy school year. Although summer is a great time to kick back and relax, I do tend to like to keep my mind connected to school and my upcoming duties as an educator so I’m ready when September rolls around. In fact, doing some schoolwork in July and August gives me a good opportunity to find some new ideas and creative ways of teaching for the upcoming school year. 

So what might I do during the summer related to school?

One of the first things I like to do is organize my school binders and files on my computer, to ensure they are ready to go for September. The last thing I want to do is lose some key lessons or activities prior to the beginning of the year. This is also a great way to remind me about some of the different teaching activities and strategies I have implemented the previous year, which may stay as is, or be tweaked in some way to benefit my students needs

Another housekeeping strategy I like to do in the summer leading up to the school year is begin to work on my schedules, long range plans and emergency plans. Although I may not get them fully done because I may be missing some key information given to me at startup, it gives me the opportunity to begin the process, which will alleviate some stress when the school year begins and it starts to get busy.  

Last but not least, I think the summer is a great way to sit back with a cup of coffee or tea (espresso for me) and search for some new ideas, lessons, strategies and videos that I might be able to use in the upcoming school year. You may or may not already know what subjects you will be teaching, therefore, it is a great way to find creative ways to teach and assess students, as there are so many great teachers out there with fantastic ideas to share. 

In any event, I hope you have the opportunity to create unforgettable memories with your loved ones over the summer! I will leave you with a few questions to share your ideas, as I would love to hear your thoughts.

1. What do you do to recharge over the summer after the school year is over?
2. What are some of your favorite websites, books or blogs to find new inspiration and ideas for your teaching craft?
3. How do you get yourself organized for the upcoming school year?

Best Wishes,

Teacher-Guy


No comments:

Post a Comment